1805 – 1925:
The canal’s construction began in 1805 pursuant to the Law of 29 Floréal, but works weren’t entirely completed until 1925.
The prefect Haussmann wanted to build the Boulevard de Prince Eugène (today Boulevard Voltaire) which cuts across the Canal Saint-Martin. One would have needed a movable bridge to cross it. Eugène Belgrand suggested relocating the Bastille sluice gates 2 km upstream to lower the canal’s level by approximately 5 meters at the boulevard, allowing it to be crossed by a fixed bridge.
1860 – 1862:
Rebuilding of the sluices at the level of Rue du Faubourg-du-Temple.
Deepening the canal created a trench through Paris. The prefect Haussmann had the canal covered between the Place de la Bastille and the Avenue de la République onto which Boulevard Richard-Lenoir leads.
The part that remained open to the sky above was rebuilt following collapse due to gypsum dissolving in the bedrock. Two movable bridges were rebuilt in steel.
1906 – 1907:
Construction of vault coverings between Boulevard de la République and the sluices at Temple by the Simon Boussiron company according to a design by Mesnager with thin vaults. The Boulevard Jules-Ferry was built on top.